Publicly Traded Securities
- You make a gift of appreciated securities — stocks, bonds, or mutual funds.
- We sell the securities and use the proceeds to support the campus programs you choose.
- You will receive an income tax charitable deduction based on the full fair market value of the securities, provided you have held them for more than a year.
- You will not pay capital gains tax at the time of transfer.
- You can use appreciated securities to make an outright gift that benefits Berkeley right now or to fund a gift that provides you or a loved one with income for life and benefits Berkeley in the future.
- Your income tax charitable deduction is based on the full fair market value of the securities and can be used to offset up to 30% of your adjusted gross income in the year of the gift. Any unused portion of the deduction can be carried forward for an additional five years.
* If you fund a lifetime income gift (e.g. charitable gift annuity or charitable remainder trust)
How to Give
For more in-depth information, please call one of our experts at 800-200-0575.